ATEG Archives

April 2006

From:
Don Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 18:10:53 -0400
Jeanne,

I think this is an infinitive phrase as adjective,
modifier of "house."  Compare a simpler version:

 It was an odd house in which to live.

"Which" refers to "house," of course, and is a
relative pronoun, object of "in." We could also just
say, " It was an odd house to live in." You can usually delete
the relative pronoun unless it is serving as a
subject.

Another interesting feature of your sentence is the
back-to-back infinitives, "to want to wear." We also
see that combination in "to try to do" and "to ask to
see," where the second infinitive is the object of the
first.

Don Stewart
writeforcollege.com
Keeper of the memory and method of Francis Christensen

*****