ATEG Archives

March 1999

From:
James Vanden Bosch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:40:14 -0500
Dear Michael,

To refer to such constructions as complements is perfectly fine.  I've seen
such structures called, variously, adverbial of direction complements and
adverbial of place complements.

JVB

At 05:04 PM 3/9/99 -0800, you wrote:
>In revising my own list of basic sentence patterns, I am ready to join
>Martha Kolln and others in seeing  subject+BE+adverb of time* or place as
>a pattern:
>
>John is here.
>John is in the kitchen.
>

>Would I be drummed out of the profession if I called that adverb a
>complement because it completes its verb  as much as  subject complements
>or direct objects complete their verbs?
>
>MIchael Kischner
>
>*Actually, I can't think of an adverb of time that goes comfortably in
>that slot.  "Choir practice is on Thursdays" doesn't seem to cut it; in
>that sentence, BE seems to be just a shortcut for HAPPEN or OCCUR.  I know
>that something similar is said of BE with an adverb of place -- that BE
>then means EXIST.  But this isn't my main question.

James Vanden Bosch              (616) 957-6592
Department of English           [log in to unmask]
Calvin College                  fax: (616) 957-8508
Grand Rapids, MI 49546          http://www.calvin.edu/~vand
for PureVoice software:         http://www.eudora.com/epro/purevoice.html