ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:12:42 -0500
Edmund,

It's not only in historical change that categories are shown to be
fuzzy.  Your excellent example with "may" demonstrates the ease with
which we can make a word fit a different category to powerful effect.
This works better with some categories than with others.  We can noun
just about anything, as you did with "may."  We can also "verb" pretty
easily, and some interesting papers have been published on this process.
Of course, it's a maxim of English grammar that "Any noun can be
verbed."  It's a little more difficult to turn nouns and verbs into
adjectives, and I'm not talking about obvious cases like words for color
and provenance.  With "may," we could say, "Bill and Hank are two more
mays."  So that modal can be nouned and then take on noun morphology.
It's more difficult to assign adjective morphology to a noun.  We can
say "a book fair" but not so easily "the bookest fair I've been to,"
although one could construct a context in which it would work.  I
suspect that we can shift words into open class categories much more
readily than into closed class categories.  Turning a noun or verb into
a preposition or conjunction is a bit harder to do.  There are
constraints on these processes, but I'm not sure they've been thoroughly
explored.

Herb