ATEG Archives

November 2001

From:
Rex Houston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 17:14:22 -0800
I know that this email doesn't have anything to do
with what you guys are discussing, but I need some
help. I would like to know if any of you have any
suggestions on how to teach appositives to seventh
graders so that they can understand them.  Please help
if you can.
--- "William J. McCleary" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Craig,
>
> I was truly startled by your latest message. Your
> view of the world of
> discourse, the thesis, and the connection between
> text and grammar is one
> that many of us have been working with since the
> late sixties. The basis of
> this work is James Kinneavy's book, A Theory of
> Discourse.
>
> Of course, our view of the connection between text
> and grammar is likely
> not as sophisticated as yours, for we are attempting
> to teach this material
> to students, who are not able to do much with
> grammar.
>
> For a textbook that makes the connection and uses
> approximately the same
> categories of text types as yours, see Writing in
> the Liberal Arts
> Tradition, by Kinneavy, McCleary, and Nakadate, 2nd
> edition, Harper & Row,
> 1990. It's old but still in print.
>
> Bill
>

>   Certainly that there is no decent text making the
> >connections between grammar and whole text
> discourse is a position worth
> >taking seriously. My own approach borrows and
> steals from SFG, but draws
> >from many other sources as well. I am trying to
> fill a need.
>
> >Craig
> >

> William J. McCleary
> Livonia, NY
>
> To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit
> the list's web interface at:
> and select "Join or leave the list"

Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com