ATEG Archives

November 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 2009 23:00:30 -0500
I read a study a long time ago, long enough that I don't remember anything about the author or source, that argued that the sentence in spoken language tends to be bound to the breath group.  That is, a sentence is what you can say in one breath.  From transcriptions I've done of speech in several languages, including some that don't have writing systems, I can support this claim, although, of course, there are plenty of exceptions.  I've had native speakers of other lnaguages tell me that the kinds of complex sentences that occur in writing and that syntacticians love to manipulate in their research simply don't occur in natural speech.  Long, complex sentences seem to be a product of writing, where the writer has time to consider what to say and how to say it and the reader has time and opportunity to reread.  This stability of message directly contradicts one of Charles Hockett's design features of language, the rapid extinction of the signal.  He was, of course, talking about spoken language, as linguists are wont to.  But if spoken sentences tend to be as long as what you can say in one breath, does this suggest that we package and encode our thoughts accordingly?

As to tagmemics and the Hocus Pocus vs. God's Truth classification of linguistic theories, I've heard Ken Pike, it's inventor, complain that critics and colleagues both tweaked him for developing a Trinitarian theory of language.  It's a Hocus Pocus theory, but if the critics are right it aspires to God's truth as well.  Tagmemics, by the way, developed from a field methods need.  Wycliffe Bible Translators sends out hundreds of teams to learn and gather data on unwritten languages around the world.  I think they've worked on close to 2000 since the organization was founded in 1942 with Pike as one of their leading linguists.  They send people with a summer's training in linguistics into language communities and equip them with a rigorous and highly detailed form for gathering data, whiich they bring to a regional center on a monthly or quarterly basis for conslutation with an experienced, trained linguist, often with a PhD from a major linguistics department here or abroad.  The consultant then directs the field workers in further data gathering and analysis.  Field workers who are particularly promising are frequently sent on for further training to become consultants themselves.  Pike developed tagmemics, based on the model of the structuralist phoneme, to provide this framework.  It's worked very well for field work.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University