ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
Edgar Schuster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 14:22:12 -0400
Ah, I suppose Arnold and I are talking about two different things.
Let me give an example from Oates of what I am talking about, an
example that has many interesting features---fragments especially---
besides the initial "for," which starts not only a sentence but also a
new paragraph.

    The "Weidel house," it would be called for years.  The Weidel
property."  As if the very land---which the family had not owned in
any case, but only rented, partly with county-welfare support---were
somehow imprinted with that name, a man's identity.  Or infamy.
    For tales were told of the father who drank, beat and terrorized his
family . . . .

Ed