ATEG Archives

June 2009

From:
Gregg Heacock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 2009 18:11:33 -0400
Bob,

Meaning, like life, is a negotiation.  Our thought process helps us through this.  While aspects of that process are unconscious, they can easily be encoded in language.  Because language makes a claim upon the world, each claim evokes a challenge based on acceptability, relevance, or grounds.  These challenges may be scripted respectively as: "Oh, yeah?"; "So what!"; and "Yes, but . . ."

The statement, "I shot an elephant in my pajamas," evokes the "Yes, but . . ." as in "Yes, most likely this means I was wearing my pajamas, but it could mean that the elephant was wearing them."  Upton suggests that ambiguity is inherent in all metaphors and that they gain their richness from the negotiation this requires on the part of the reader.  Grammatical ambiguities are best resolved before they appear in print unless they are meaningful ambiguities.  The joke above awards the person who is able to think outside the box, for that person has an appreciation the ridiculous that is at home with the Marx brothers.  Getting a joke means "you belong."  The ad "Get Fresh with Marie Callender" contains a similar joke.  Because we so often get few strokes for being clever, we tend to repeat such ads in our mind as an affirmation of our intelligence. And, if we really want to congratulate ourselves on our intelligence, we can go to a Marie Callender Restaurant to buy that fresh pie.  And, there are other times when expression can offer two different notions of what is happening as in "I am sitting down."  In Spanish, the act of moving into a sitting position is written differently from maintain a sitting position.  Our language makes no such distinction.  This is where we consider whether to elaborate--to make explicit what might be understood implicitly.  If that is what you mean by language being different from thought, I would agree.  But they are organically connected like the force that through the green fuse drives the flower.  We are like bears dancing in chains.  When we struggle with the words the thoughts gain beauty in their expression.

I hope this acknowledges what you are saying while advancing the notions that drive Lakoff and Johnson have catalogued with hundreds of pages of examples (enough to require graduate students to help fill in the canvas for them).  PHILOSOPHY IN THE FLESH is certainly worth your attention.

It is important that we, as grammarians, explore these deep issues.  They are not unconnected to the surface matters that many teachers believe not to be so important.  Both are intimately connected.

I hope that, as you carry on your dialogue on this matter you have raised, that you will take these thoughts into account as well as the replies of others.

Best regards,

Gregg