ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:22:00 -0400
Peter,

The OED links "first off" to a couple of other similar expressions.

From the entry on "off":
  11. Indicating precedence in time, as bang off, right off, straight off: straightaway, forthwith, immediately (see BANG v.1 8d, RIGHT adv. 3b, STRAIGHT adj. 2c). first off, next off: first, next, in sequence (see FIRST adv. 1f, NEXT adj., adv., and n. Compounds 3).

From the entry on "first":
   f. first off: at the first blush, in the first place, to begin with. U.S. colloq.
1880 'MARK TWAIN' Tramp Abroad xx. 193 First-off, I thought it would certainly give me the botts. 1897 W. D. HOWELLS Landlord at Lion's Head 445 First off, you know, I thought I'd sell to the other feller. 1910 W. M. RAINE B. O'Connor 39 Four's right. First off Neil, then the fellow I took to be the Wolf. 1915 Nation (N.Y.) 10 June 646/1 Men of science..no longer admit first off what simple good sense shows to us.

There seems to be no link with "first of all" but rather with other uses of "off."  The expression is at least designated as "colloq."

Herb