ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
"O'Sullivan, Brian P" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:21:33 -0500
Brad, I've been quietly following these discussions about the past perfect, and I've been wondering--why are you so passionate about this issue? You seem to have a personal, emotional stake; am I right about that? For example, did you have a teacher who drilled you mercilessly on what you now believe to be fallacious rules about tense and aspect? Of course, I have no particular right to ask you this, and you have no obligation to respond; however, if you do choose to respond, it might help many list members understand where you're coming from, and it might even illustrate the problems, which others have alluded to, with focusing on "correctness" in the teaching of grammar.

Brian