ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Nancy Tuten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:12:31 -0400
With college students, I start out the very first day of my "advanced"
grammar class (largely English majors, but at square one in terms of
grammar) by writing the word "fish" on the board and asking the students
what part of speech that word represents. Once we have made the point that
it can, in fact, be a noun, a verb, or an adjective, we then agree that we
are more concerned with how a word functions than with labeling it one part
of speech or another for all situations.

The second point I make on the first day is that studying language is not
like studying chemistry. Language is fluid, changing according to the needs
of the speakers, etc. I pick out one or two examples of usage changes
through the centuries to drive home the point that "correctness" is a
societal construct. Wearing certain kinds of clothes in order to look
professional is also a societal construct; that fact doesn't diminish the
importance of knowing the "rules" by which one is going to be judged--fairly
or not.

It seems to me that both these points drive home the need to understand how
language functions *in general*, acknowledging, of course, that what makes
this study so fascinating is that sometimes a particular phrase, clause, or
sentence simply won't play by the so-called "rules." I tell them that there
will be times when we may disagree about how a word, phrase, or clause is
functioning in a sentence, but that's OK as long as they can defend their
view in a way that proves they understand basic patterns of thought and
methods of constructing meaning. And then we're off to study Martha's
sentence patterns.

By the way, we always tie those insights to a discussion about writing well:
which construction is more clear/less ambiguous? How could the writer's
intention be skewed by choosing one construction over another? Etc. To
understand basic sentence patterns is to understand basic THINKING patterns,
and better thinkers are better writers.

I have children ages 9 and 13, so I have thought a lot over the last decade
about how early children can understand the notion that while we have
categories and labels, they don't always work neatly. I am convinced that
pretty young children can grasp this idea. I could go into my younger
daughter's class of 4th, 5th, and 6th grade kids (a Montessori mixed-grade
class, and they have already learned "parts of speech," including verbals),
do the "fish" exercise mentioned above, and make the point that
understanding how language works (that is, how it makes meaning) means
understanding how words function *in relationship with one another in a
sentence* and not in isolation.

They can do this, of course, because in their early elementary class (grades
1-3), they were taught the parts of speech. We all know that the parts of
speech are limited (didn't the structuralists and the deconstructionists
teach us that ALL our attempts to name our experiences and our world fail
miserably?), but they provide us with a common vocabulary with which to move
on to the next level of the discussion: the "fish" exercise.

My advanced grammar class for English majors starts in a week. Many of them
are going to be language arts teachers. The ones who will struggle the most
are those who do not understand the basic concepts. How can we move to the
more sophisticated view (which, as I have argued above, they should also
have already been exposed to) if they haven't been taught the basics?

Preaching to the choir, I know--but thanks for letting me vent!

Nancy

Nancy L. Tuten, PhD
Professor of English
Director of the Writing-across-the-Curriculum Program
Columbia College
Columbia, South Carolina
803-786-3706