ATEG Archives

November 2006

From:
Robert Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 17:55:46 -0600
Craig,

Perera's work has absolutely NOTHING to do with correctness.  For our
colleagues in K-12 settings, it is valuable research.

Craig writes:
  . . . .we don't have a mainstream body of research looking at
language maturation for native
speakers. The whole debate about grammar tends to focus on
"correctness".

********************
Again, I am troubled by the very general nature of this claim.
Craig writes:

   In Writing Science, Halliday directly takes on the notion that
science
pushes changes in language that are necessary, but can become highly
dysfunctional.

*******
Exactly what are the changes that SCIENCE (any particular branch of
science?) has "pushed" on the language making it "highly
dysfunctional"?

I find it interesting that someone who abhors a focus on "correctness"
praises work that seems to find a particular genre of writing
dysfunctional.

I am unaware of any examples from science that makes the LANGUAGE
dysfunctional.  Craig, can you provide us with some examples?

Bob Yates, University of Central Missouri