ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
"Strasheim, Dwayne" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:51:19 -0500
I would echo Herb's recommendation of Pyles & Algeo.  Another good old
standard textbook is Baugh and Cable's A HISTORY OF THE ENGLISH
LANGUAGE, which has been around since 1935.  Tom Cable has been updating
it since the 3rd edition.  The current (5th) edition was published in
2002.  Chapter 11 is entitled, "The English Language in America."

Dwayne Strasheim
Hastings College