ATEG Archives

February 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:33:29 -0500
Geoff,
    I am probably occssionally part of the problem even when trying not to
be. I have absolutely no interest in  responding to Brad. When I do
respond on an issue that Brad has contributed to, as I did recently, I
am responding to a discussion on the list, and I do so having long ago
come to the understanding that agreement with Brad will never happen.
What I worry about is that we now have topics that we can't talk to
each other about. I don't care what Brad thinks, but I am very much
interested in open public discussion. I would hate to think we have to
limit ourselves to Brad proof topics.
   I am very interested in what Herb might say about a concept like
"remote past," but not at all interested in hearing him explain it in a
way that Brad might understand.
   The irony for me is that  my "Writing, Reading, and Language" class is
now exploring ways in which time, plot, and point-of-view are
controlled within a narrative. We will ask the same questions about
newswriting in a few weeks. Are these out of bounds because of the Brad
factor? Is it possible to talk with each other when issues like this
arise and somehow ignore the static?
   Maybe not? That saddens me.

Craig