ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
"Kenkel, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 23:01:41 -0500
Craig,
    Thank you for your response and the obvious time you put into it.  I have two points/comments.

    I wish you had been more careful with your characterization of my and Bob Yates's response to the work you refer to of Mary Schleppegrell. I am quite sure that Bob and I have never said or thought anything that resembles what you have written - which I don't at all understand. For one, I don't even know what it might mean to say "that a grammar might evolve in a functional way in the technical disciplines."  Since I don't even know what that means, I am quite certain I have never said it.  The sentence about "discounting details . . ." is also incomprehensible to me. Finally, I am quite sure that I have never said, and I don't think Bob has ever said, that anyone's work should not be taken seriously.  These comments come straight out of you, but they don't reflect anything that Bob Yates and I have done or said.  For the record, at a TESOL meeting, Bob Yates and I have spoken with Mary Schleppegrell about her papers. I can assure this list that Mary Schleppegrell is a lovely person and that our conversation could not have been more cordial or collegial.
    Second, what I meant by my reference to "hand waving" had to do with examples presented on this listserv for the purpose of facilitating meaningful, productive discussion here.  I am not doubting that you have made presentations at various venues, and I congratulate you on your publication - OF COURSE!.  But all of that does no one now on this listserv any good who is looking for the opportunity to have meaningful discussion.  I have not been to your ATEG presentations or your 4C's presentation, and your Sage publication is not yet out. To participate on the list should not require trips to the library to figure out what a poster means.  For example, if I were to make a specific point about SFL on this list, I would provide specific examples to support/illustrate that point. That is only communicatively responsible.  I would not for instance, claim that the facts that I made an ATEG presentation on the point in 1997 or that I have a publication on it obviated me from having to present the support explicitly.

              Jim Kenkel
              Eastern Kentucky University
From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [