ATEG Archives

September 2001

From:
"Haussamen, Brock" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:10:56 -0400
I've been wondering whether and how the terrorist crisis connects in any
ways to ATEG and the discussions of teaching grammar.  Our lives take place
in a different context now.  Will our discussions change also?

I don't know, but I think so.  Language is so central, grammar is not just
about English, and English itself is global.  Perhaps in the years
ahead--years, for most wars last longer than people expect--the issues
surrounding language diversity vs. Standard English will intensify.  Perhaps
the Arabic and Farsi languages and grammar will be of interest to more
people (although I don't remember very broad interest in Russian during the
cold war).  We will no doubt see more propaganda than we usually do and have
more to say about its semantic tricks.  And probably the phenomenon of
global English(es) and grammar will attract more attention than now.

We will see.  On the whole I think that the discussion of teaching grammar
will not be an insignificant place to be in the new world.

Brock Haussamen

Brock Haussamen
English Department
Raritan Valley Community College