ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Connie Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:48:32 -0400
Jeff,

Thanks much.  As you probably guessed, I've been aware of the first category of
research for decades, though I can see that my sentence didn't necessarily make
that clear.  It's the metalanguage issue I was curious about.  And yes, I know
enough about language acquisition to realize that the meanings of words aren't
grasped all at once; in fact, I think I made the same point a couple of days
ago, with respect to the meaning(s) of the grammar terms we use.    But I never
heard the point made that cats might later be distinguished from dogs by the
presence or absence of slobber!  Neat.  Also, I'm interested in the fact that
you've found young children using the metalanguage about language weeks or
months later.  That certainly does lend support for the idea of starting
early.  Despite the argument that children need to have developed what Piaget
calls "formal operational thinking" before then can understand grammatical
concepts, I disagree.  I think there is plenty of evidence that they can
generalize language concepts from examples, just as they do in other areas of
learning.

As for analysis and analytic ability, I also think that's the commonality
between doing well in math and doing well in linguistic/grammar study.  But
then, I think of how our students are taught to do literary analysis in our
department, and I still wonder why so many find grammar so difficult!

Connie