ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Yvonne Stapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 09:00:54 -0400
Rebecca,
The examples are written. That's the only kind of data I'm
interested in.  The examples are responses to exam questions
from my online intro linguistics course.  I should point out
that the exams are "open book" -students can refer to the
text and articles and also to the video lectures; they have
24 hours to complete the exam and are instructed to
proofread their exams before submitting them. The use of
these responses made it possible to see where the areas of
language vulnerability are.

 Most people taking the linguistics intro course are
teaching or planning to teach ESL, but speech-hearing majors
often make up as much as a third of the class.  The examples
I posted were only from ESL people because I've been
particularly concerned about the relationship between the
relationship between the language skills/knowledge of ESL
teachers and the very poor progress of ESL students in the K-
12 system.

In a paper I just submitted I distinguished the kinds of
errors in these and other samples from the kinds of errors
that represent distortions of information.  I categorized
the error data (lexical, grammatical/morphological and
coherence)and provided comparisons between data samples and
samples of impairment in each case.

yvonne