ATEG Archives

June 2009

From:
Larry Beason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2009 13:27:54 -0500
Heh--there's a whole semester's worth of interesting grammatical analysis in just those five lines of Miller's song, but I'm not sure we want to go there.

Larry

____________________________
Larry Beason, Associate Professor
Director of Composition
University of South Alabama
Mobile, AL 36688-0002
Office: 251-460-7861
FAX: 251-461-1517

>>> "Paul T. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]> 6/3/2009 1:07 PM >>>
Right on the usage. Close on the performer.

Roger Williams was a pop pianist who sold many records.

King of the Road was the biggest hit for Roger Miller, a C&W singer and
composer, mostly of novelty songs.

Trailer for sale or rent, rooms to let fifty cents.
No phone, no pool, no pets, I ain't got no cigarettes.
Ah but, two hours of pushin' broom buys a
Eight by twelve four-bit room.
I'm a man of means by no means, king of the road.