ATEG Archives

November 2005

From:
Patricia Lafayllve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:36:30 -0500
This is ironic - we are covering precisely this type of situation in my
grammar and usage class this week.

Please correct me if I am wrong - but I would like to answer this to see how
sound my own thinking is.

I would consider "over" in this case an adverbial modifier of time.  "Over"
in this context implies "Past/completed" rather than place ("The party is
over there.").  This would put it in the NP+be+ADVtime category.

At least, that would be my analysis.

-patty