ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:09:03 -0500
Brad,
   I think you are using the terms "proper" and "improper", "correct" and
"incorrect", and "blooper" in misleading ways. When most of us say
"correct" or "proper", we have some established authority in mind. The
rules you expect us all to know about seem to be Brad's rules, so it
seems strange to us that you present them as if they are "given" or
agreed upon.
   In almost every instance, I prefer O'Bama's choices to yours. But I
would not call your choices or his "bloopers".
   If you want to make an argument for a rhetorical shift away from the
past perfect, go ahead. But you will have to make it an argument, not
just an assertion, and it won't help if you continue to denigrate texts
that the rest of us find exemplary.
   If you are, as you implied in an earlier post, the best user of English
in the world, you should be able to do a better job of bringing us
along.

Craig

Brad,