ATEG Archives

May 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2008 19:24:10 -0400
Susan,

Let me revise one thing I say below.  I don't think it's the case that the female meaning of "breast" developed later than the general meaning.  Rather, the earliest citation of that meaning comes from around 1000AD while the earliest citation of the gender-neutral meaning is about two centuries earlier.  Undoubtedly the two meanings were contemporaneous.  The preservation of the latter meaning in fossilized forms like "breastplate," "breastworks," "breasting a wave," "keeping abreast of," etc. demonstrates that the gender-neutral meaning is at best a secondary one today and more likely survives only in fossilized forms.

Herb