ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 15:46:24 -0400
Phil,

If there were a good grammar curriculum in place, I would agree that
that was where we should start.  Since there is not, although we
evidently aren't in agreement on that, we are working on scope and
sequence and should also be working on certification.  Organizationally,
two independent committees, which isn't precisely what you've advocated,
would to easily work at cross purposes (is "cross purposes" an "ice
cream" phrase?).  That there might be two groups working together and
influencing each others work so as to arrive at a curriculum and
certification standards seems reasonable.

I've gone through the Houghton Mifflin web site for Honegger's book, and
it looks pretty decent.  Given some of the things that he does with
parts of speech, phrase structure, etc., I would not infer that it
represents traditional grammar in the senses you have alluded to.  But
in terms of presentation of structure it's not bad.

Herb