ATEG Archives

September 2008

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:22:04 -0700
Laura,

Simplified rules are fine for introducing students to the basics, but
you need to be careful of treating them as theoretical justification for
writing (or not writing) in a particular way.

I'm not aware of any usage guides that would call #2 a misplaced
modifier. I don't buy the assertion that it sounds as if the tears are
trying to be brave, and I don't believe native English speakers would
normally read the sentence that way (without special prompting).
Certainly, this exact construction is used by excellent writers all the
time. It's so frequent that it seems implausible to think that it is
either nonstandard or that it causes confusion.

Open any random work of fiction and I venture to guess you're likely to
find an example within a few pages. To test this out, I just pulled the
nearest novel off my bookshelf (Charles Frazier's _Cold Mountain_) and
opened to the first page. Sure enough, in the second paragraph, I find
the following sentence: "So he rose and dressed and sat in a ladderback
chair, putting the gloomy room of beds and their broken occupants behind
him."

Clearly, the "putting..." participial phrase refers to the subject "he"
and not to the chair.

You are perhaps thinking of the effect of a misplaced _restrictive_
modifier. For example, if you deleted the comma, the sentence would
indeed sound bizarre.

The comma, though, clearly marks it as a nonrestrictive modifier, and
nonrestrictive modifiers like these don't work the same way that
restrictive modifiers do. Whatever the position (front, medial, or
final), nonrestrictive modifiers with implied subjects are usually taken
to refer to the subject of the main clause.

Karl