ATEG Archives

October 2007

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:07:31 -0400
Bob,
   I think Bruce and I are doing fine, though I leave it to Bruce to
qualify that. When I write to Bruce, I don't think I am making 'claims'
that need to be challenged, but simply articulating a point-of-view that
I have been developing --am still developing-- over a period of time.  I
think Bruce is curious about how I think and asking very thoughtful
questions about it. If I am wrong; if there are "challenges" that I am
ignoring, I hope Bruce tells me. This kind of conversation does not need
to be contentious, and I have not been treating it that way.
   It might make more sense for you to post your own perspective to the
list; you don't need to prove me wrong in order to present your own
views. People could ask you for clarification, which is very different
from trying to prove you wrong.
   It is possible to believe that form is innate, not tied to context
except secondarily. But I don't see it that way.
   These positions are too complex to be reduced to an argument. Nor do
I think that serves the purposes of the list.

Craig