ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 15:30:21 -0500
Edmond:

A good many words, though by no means all, seem to have "default
settings" in English. As you point out, this may merely be a case of the
analyst creating what amounts to a stereotype based on observations of
frequency -- but then, sometimes frequency *does* crucially determine
the way people deal with things. If I use the word "invitation," instead
of the word "invite," speakers will likely have a higher expectation
that the word's showing up in a noun slot, even though modern speakers
can (and do) use "invite" as a noun sometimes and even though a host of
other structural cues will either confirm or contradict that
expectation.

I'm trying to approach this in terms of expectations because I'd like to
avoid attributing some essential quality of "nouniness" to nouns, which
they then retain no matter how you use them. That's a classic Platonist
approach; it underlies much of traditional grammar, and it shows up in a
kind of biological costume in many modern theories, but I'm not sure how
to demonstrate the existence of an essential quality in any non-circular
way. On the other hand, I can think of ways to test for speakers'
expectations, and I do think frequency is relevant to them. I also do
not want to give the impression that I think every word should be
assigned strictly to a single lexical category; I just think that many
*can* be.

Regardless of how we approach this theoretically, there is also a
pedagogical dimension, and it's of particular relevance to ESL students.
Even if frequency *isn't* correlated with some kind of
category-assignment, it does serve as a good basis for working with
students who are trying to sound more like native English-speakers, or
even native-English-speakers who are trying to sound more like users of
formal written English. While I can say something like, "I've been
invitationed half to death" in the right context and pull it off, ESL
students are likely to be perceived as having trouble with the language
when they do something similar. If this were forty years ago, I could
say the same thing about native speakers using "impact" in verb slots.
Even when we move from "do this or you're making an error" to "do this
if you want to be perceived as a member of this particular speech
community," it's handy to have content to fill in for the "do this"
part.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University