ATEG Archives

June 2006

From:
Max Morenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 13:53:21 -0400
The Presidents'/President's/Presidents Day question reminds me of an
issue that came up at Miami U about 30 years ago. The director of
development called me frantically for grammatical advice. Yes,
frantically! It seems that one of the university's big
contributors-who was honored, like all big contributors,  by being
listed as a member of The Presidents Club-refused to give any more
unless the development office righted their grievous wrong and placed
an apostrophe after the "s." After all, The Presidents Club was
established to honor all the presidents of the university, past,
present, and future. For want of an apostrophe a big donor was about
to be lost. "Help," cried the director. Could I save the donation?
Boy, talk about needing a grammarian.

I didn't get into the issue of genitive or possessive but of the
history of apostrophes and esses to indicate genitive.  So, after a
bit of research, I wrote the director a long memo, properly
footnoted,  explaining that the s' had been "invented" to parallel
the 's. But the apostrophe in the 's functioned to replace the e
which originally signalled the genitive and had been lost. Since the
s' was spurious, lots of organizations (and I listed several, though
I've long since forgotten them) did not use the s'. I concluded that
by omitting the apostrophe, Miami's development office was on the
cutting edge of punctuation practice.

A week or so later, I got a thank you from the director of
development. I'd saved the contribution and the integrity of The
Presidents Club. I never saw an increase in my pay check, though I
suspect that the football coach would have seen a salary increase if
he'd brought in a big contributor. They never even made me an
honorary member of The Presidents Club. Perhaps the director was
ticked at me for suggesting the development office could have avoided
the whole mess by using the adjective presidential.

Ah, well. Such is the life of a grammarian. Never fully appreciated.

Max