ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
"Dr. Rebecca Wheeler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2006 21:07:51 -0400
Dear Jed,
Walt Wolfram's work at North Carolina State University is unsurpassed on
history and systematicity of southern dialects. See some of his stuff at
http://www.ncsu.edu/linguistics/bios/wolfram.htm

Further, and i don't have the exact cite here, but I believe the
American Dialect Society recently came out with a special volume on
Southern American English, so that's worth checking into.

My own work in teacher education and code-switching is available through
the NCTE -- see either my NCTE consultant website or my CNU faculty
website for articles and a link to my recent book on Code-switching.

Wolfram has a whole middle school curriculum he's co-constructed with
Jeffrey Reaser, his former grad student who is now on faculty with NCSU.

For further south, you might try Bethany Dumas's work -- she's worked on
the languages of the Ozark Mountains. I believe she's at U. Tennessee,
Knoxville.

Have at it!

Cheers,

Rebecca Wheeler