ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
"Hadley, Tim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:56:13 -0500
Amen, Peter--I will second your motion if no one else will--though Craig has responded in his usual thoughtful and appropriate way.

I used to hear speakers at conferences ridicule the idea of error reduction as a meaningful goal by talking about students who wrote papers that were both "error-free and idea-free"--that is, grammatically and mechanically perfect but had absolutely nothing worthwhile to say--as if this kind of thing happened all the time. Instinctively I knew that it could not be so. However, in those early days I was too timid to ask, "How often does this situation actually happen?"

I now know that, in actuality, it is a very rare thing. Yes, it does happen, but very rarely. Most students who have mastered grammar and mechanics have also mastered, at least somewhat, the ability to express their thoughts with some degree of skill. I would argue, though not without challenge, I'm sure, that there is a connection between the two. So don't worry--we will not be losing sight of the importance of error avoidance any time soon. But, as Craig said, thanks for the timely reminder.

Tim

Tim Hadley
Research Assistant, The Graduate School
Ph.D. candidate, Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Texas Tech University
Editor, ATEG Journal