ATEG Archives

December 1999

From:
EDWARD VAVRA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 15:32:57 -0500
Barthes argues that write is an intransitive verb. If I remember correctly, he does so to emphasize the importance of the writer, thereby deemphasizing the importance of the message (the object of the transitive version of the verb). My intention was to reemphasize the importance of the message. (In comp circles, I believe they use the term "transactional" writing to mean what I am referring to.) Our job as teachers, as I see it, is to help students improve their ability to convey a specific message, i.e., to make transactions in their writing. Basically, this comes down to persuasive, expository writing.
     I don't see this as meaning that we have to neglect the writing of short stories, poems, etc., but as a teacher of college Freshman composition, I agree with everything that Bob Yates wrote. My students (Freshmen) are so poorly prepared for this type of writing (which is the type of writing that they will need to do in many other courses ¯ from sociology to plastics) that I have dropped the narrative essay from my ENL 111 course so that I can focus more on expository. (My assignments and at least one complete set of graded students' essays are available on the web at
http://www2.pct.edu/courses/evavra/ENL111/index.htm. You can examine them and judge for yourself.)
     I would like to have students write narratives, and even poems, but which type of writing will be most important for the students? As Bob wrote:
"I think the goal of writing instruction from high school on should be to provide the student with an understanding of how to make generalizations and support them.  This means an ability to move from the general to the
specific and back again.  (I think it was Mina Shaunessey who talked about the problem basic writers have in doing this.)"
This type of thought (general to specific) is relevant to paragraphs (topic sentences and details to support them), and it is also relevant to sentence structure (the use of the colon to join two main clauses).
     I have only 45 class hours with students (3 hours /week). At the high school level, don't English classes meet five times a week? If I had five hours a week, I would certainly do more with journals, poems, and even a "love letter"? [The latter might be a very interesting assignment ¯ although I would explain to students the concept of an "ideal" love (Dante's Beatrice or Petrarch's Laura) and then ask them to write love letters to their "ideal." I really would not want to see what they might write to their physical lovers.]
     I hope everyone has a nice vacation. I'm going home to finish my grades and to put the final touches on the next (my last?) issue of the newsletter.
Ed

>>> "Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]> 12/04 12:34 AM >>>
"write" is a transitive verb. "

Write is both transitive AND intransitive:

1. Ziggy writes poetry.
2. Ziggy writes well.

Also:
I'm not sure what the reference to Roland Barthes is all about. Could
someone clarify that?

Thanks,

Paul E. Doniger
The Gilbert School
"Reason enslaves all whose minds are not strong enough to master her." - G.
B. Shaw