ATEG Archives

March 2006

From:
Amanda Godley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 08:40:27 -0500
I have had good luck convincing high school students that they speak in a
dialect through showing and discussing the documentary film "American
Tongues." ( http://www.cnam.com/flash/language/american.html) The website
offers a study guide that isn't bad (click on the "downloads" link).

Though the film is a bit dated (students will quickly notice the 80s
hairstyles and clothes), the information it presents about American dialects
and stereotypes about those dialects is not.

Amanda

On 3/21/06 9:10 PM, "Jan Kammert" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I teach 8th grade in Washington state.  We have just started reading the
> book Tom Sawyer as we do every year.  Also every year more than one
> student complains that the dialect in Tom Sawyer is too difficult for
> them.
>
> When we have a conversation about dialect, I tell them that everyone has a
> dialect.  I know that I have never convinced most of my students that even
> they have a dialect.
>
> Suggestions?
> Jan

> and select "Join or leave the list"