ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2009 09:45:11 -0500
Herb,
   That's a very thoughtful and useful summary. A recent book that makes
suggestions along those lines is "Reading in Secondary Content Areas: A
Language-Based Pedagogy", co-authored by Zhihui Fang and Mary J.
Schleppegrell. "To succeed in secondary schooling and beyond, students
need to develop specialized literacies relevant to each content area as
well as a critical literacy that they can use across content areas to
engage with, reflect on, and evaluate specialized and advanced
knowledge. Teachers play an important role in apprenticing their
students into disciplinary knowledge and practices." The authors take
an approach out of systemic functional lingusitics for that task.
   In composition, we have long ago recognized that writing competence
differs "across the curriculum." In my school, we farmed out much
writing instruction to the disciplines for exactly that reason, but
have found, in many cases, that those in the disciplines have not been
overly reflective about their own best practices. For someone like
myself--whose job it is to help nonmainstream students be successful in
their fieds of choice, not just as English majors--that has meant going
trying to find my way in largely undeveloped territory.
   I expect Bob will react angrily to the suggestion, but I also recommend
Schleppegrell's "The Language of Schooling." It also grows out of the
beleif that literacy can be disdcipline specific, that it can and
should be made more explicit, and that we have a mentoring role in the
process.

Craig

Craig, Bill, Bob, et al.,