ATEG Archives

October 2007

From:
"Castilleja, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:17:40 -0700
I currently teach a grammar class for prospective teachers.  I always
have them read the Hartwell article, which I believe I first read around
1985 or 86.

I would encourage anyone interested in a synthesis of research into the
effect of grammar-teaching on student writing to read these reports:

http://eppi.ioe.ac.uk/cms/Default.aspx?tabid=229

http://eppi.ioe.ac.uk/cms/Default.aspx?tabid=232

The EPPI Centre "conducts systematic reviews of research evidence across
a range of topics and works with a large number of funders" according to
their website.  What they are trying to do is influence public policy by
studying research that has been done in a number of areas, including the
teaching of English, to determine what the research actually shows.
Their question is "what has been shown to work?"  I'm surprised more
people in the US aren't aware of this group.

Janet Castilleja
Toppenish  WA