ATEG Archives

December 1997

From:
Jim Dubinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 08:25:31 -0500
This message was originally submitted by  [log in to unmask] to the ATEG
list

As I noted on my most recent message, one of the interesting aspects of
this discussion is the opinions about the most suitable version of grammar
to use in instruction. Burkhard said (or clearly implied) that grammar
would be easier to teach if we made clearer distinctions, but now Robert
Einarson seems to say the opposite. So I ask again, of anyone on the list,
if there exists any evidence on this question.

Bill McCleary

>To contribute to the discussion on whether it is necessary to make
>distinctions between nouns and things that may carry the function of
>nouns:
>
>In "Considerations Concerning the First Formation of Languages" Adam
>Smith distinguishes between "nouns substantive," "nouns objective,"
>"nouns adjective,"  and probably others.
>
>"But though the invention of nouns adjective be much more natural
>than that of the abstract nouns substantive derived from them, it
>would still, however, require a considerable degree of abstraction
>and generalization."  -Adam Smith.
>
>This type of reasoning might help explain the "horse barn" question.
>
>Personally, I would say that "horse" is an adjective if it is used as
>an adjective (just as "try" is a noun and "mountain" is an
>adjective).
>
>But "horse" when used as an adjective is a particular kind of
>sub-type: an adjective that derives from a substantive originally.
>
>If we want to explain these close differences between types of nouns
>(nouns substantive and nouns adjective), this would be a good way to
>go about it.  However, the question of sub-types among nouns does not
>bear upon the question of defining grammatical elements by function.
>There are six functions that define every element of English grammar,
>whether that function takes place on a single word, a complete
>phrase, or a complete depencent clause.  In addition, a gerund is a
>noun, a pronoun is a noun, even an infinitive verb is a noun (the
>name of an action not actually occurring).  It does help in teaching
>grammar to brush aside the complicated sub-categories and extremely
>fine distinctions, before the students are even aware of the major
>elements.
>

>Sincerely, Robert Einarsson
>please visit my web site at
>www.artsci.gmcc.ab.ca/people/einarssonb

William J. McCleary                     Editor: Composition Chronicle
Associate Prof. of English              Viceroy Publications
Coordinator of Secondary English        3247 Bronson Hill Road
SUNY at Cortland                        Livonia, NY 14487
607-753-2076                            716-346-6859
[log in to unmask]         [log in to unmask]