ATEG Archives

July 2000

From:
Janet Castilleja <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 17:52:14 EDT
Dear ATEGERs

I'm really addressing this to those people on the list who, like me, are not
trained linguists but rather English and/or language arts teachers, and who
sometimes feel a little intimidated by some of the discussions.

I've been reading a book that I think is helpful.  The title is English
Grammar: Prescriptive, Descriptive, Generative, Performance, By Kathryn Riley
and Frank Parker, published by Allyn and Bacon.  As the title indicates, the
authors try to describe and explain the differences among different
grammatical schools of thought.  It is quite clearly written and would
probably be appropriate for a grammar for teachers class (such as I teach),
and yet I'm finding out some interesting information.  So, if you are looking
for a clear introduction to modern grammars, this might be a good book to
look at.

Just my two cents.

Janet Castilleja
Heritage College