ATEG Archives

July 2001

From:
"Glauner, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:54:14 -0500
Some style guides disagree on this point, but the MLA (Modern Language
Association) style guide places commas inside quotation marks.

One problem in your sentence, however, is that quotation marks that occur
within other quotation marks are single instead of double symbols:  "The
sculpture, 'The Discus Thrower,' was beautiful to behold."

I'll leave the question that might arise of whether the name of an artwork
should be in italics or enclosed in quotation marks for another day.

Jeff Glauner
Associate Professor of English
Park University, Box 1303
8700 River Park Drive