ATEG Archives

January 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:59:17 -0500
Johanna,

    I mainly used intransitive verbs as examples because Phil's original
question was about these "bare" constructions.  Only an intransitive
verb can give us this kind of pared down predicate.  (No modifiers or
complements.) Any kind of process can be made the object of a
perception verb.  (I saw her being drunk on many an occassion.) They
can be just as complex as an independent sentence.
   The case of the pronoun helps us realize that the whole structure is in
direct object slot. It can still be the subject of the following
clause.  I know this doesn't happen if the clause is finite, but I'm
still not convinced. ("I saw she stole the watch.") Perhaps it argues
against my position, but not to the extent that it settles the
argument.  At any rate, that means less to me than the way it functions
in our understanding.

Which car did you see?  "I saw the car crashing into the wall."
(adjectival, restrictive.)
What did the slick roads do?  "The slick roads sent the car crashing into
the wall."  (object complement, causative verb).
What did you see? "I saw the car crashing into the wall."  The car
crashing into the wall is now acting like a single object. It does not
modify car nor present a consequence of my seeing. Notice that "the" can
be replaced by "Paul's", though that wouldn't be the case with the
sentence above.  ("I saw Paul's car crashing into the wall" would be a
weird answer to "which car did you see?")
   To me, those are distinctions well worth making.

Craig

  Johanna asked me to forward this.  I'll respond in a another post.