ATEG Archives

March 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 2011 17:54:45 -0400
    It seems to me the work of the dictionary is to give us
conventionalized form/meaning pairings and not get too concerned about
whether they are words or not. (Which is not to say the question
itself is not interesting.) For the heck of it, I looked up DNA and
found it, plus DJ on the same page. For the same reason
(inclusiveness), a good dictionary generally gives us conventionalized
phrases as well. When we hear or see something, it's good to have a
way to find out what it means. I don't know how many people could tell
you what DNA is short for, but it does have a conventionalized meaning
as something like "molecular blueprint for life."
   When something comes out of a technical field (like DNA) or mainstream
culture, we tend not to question it as shorthand. I would bet that LOL
is thought of as "bad grammar" in the public mind, but TV, DNA, and DJ
are routinely accepted.

Craig >

Initialisms tend to have the stress patterns of phrases, so UN has the