ATEG Archives

February 2011

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2011 11:13:40 -0800
TJ,

I wouldn't directly disagree with Craig's general point about functions
evolving, but I would want to emphasize that form and function tend to
co-evolve, in a sort of push-me/pull-you way.

Bringing up the OE perfect raises a whole host of difficulties, not
least of which is that's there's disagreement about how fully
grammaticalized HAVE + the past participle is in OE, but I think it can
illustrate evolving function. We just can't get too sticky about dates.

I'm inclined to think that OE had a fully grammaticalized perfect with
habban (have) + a past participle, but it really doesn't matter if you
argue, as some do, that it only became grammaticalized in Middle English.

OE shows a persistence of other ways of expressing perfective aspect in
addition to the ancestral form of the present-day perfect.

For example, Aelfric uses the simple past + an adverb to illustrate the
pluperfect in his grammar: "ic lufode gefyrn" (I loved formerly). But he
also uses the paraphrastic form in his sermons.

You also find habben + an inflected past participle, suggesting that in
those instances, at least, the participle was still felt to be an adjective.

As some point, then, a form that was originally habban as the main verb
+ a participle inflected as an adjective came to be reanalyzed as an
auxiliary verb + an uninflected past participle. This form also took on
functions that formerly had been expressed (sic) in other ways.

Karl