ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
"Myers, Marshall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 16:45:31 -0500
Dave,

I was the one suggesting that the construction may be a "get" passive.

Like a garden variety passive, the actor in the sentence is either hidden or could be in a "by-phrase." "He got run over (by a truck.)"

When the object of the "by-phrase" becomes the subject of the converted sentence, like the "to be" form in the garden variety passive, the converted sentence drops the auxiliary: Joe was run over by a truck" becomes "The truck ran over Joe." And "He got run over by a truck" becomes "The truck ran over him." Notice also that in both cases of the conversion of both types of passives, the verb then is marked for tense (obviously, it has to be).

I'm not suggesting any generalizations beyond these, but, as I understand it, the "get passive" does bear some credence in some grammarians' minds.

In other situations, I can understand why "get" can act like an auxiliary.

Marshall