ATEG Archives

June 1999

From:
"Albert E. Krahn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 23:47:19 -0500
Wanda may understand a difference in using a comma in the second sentence,
but I suspect her readers will not. They will only see what appears to be a
needless comma.
akra

At 10:45 AM 5/21/99 +0000, Wanda wrote:
>This will probably only add to the confusion, but I've found it very
>useful in dealing with punctuating the "because" clauses.  If the
>"because" clause gives a REASON, no comma is needed.  If the "because"
>clause gives evidence (not reason), use a comma.
>
>      Mrs. VG has gone home because she became ill.
>
>      Mrs. VG has gone home, because her car is not in the parking lot.
>
>In the "evidence" sentence, one can mentally insert "I know that" between
>"home" and "because."  The comma takes the place of the "I know that."
>
>I've never seen it in a text (except my own!)--but it works!

Al Krahn ~ Milwaukee Area Technical College
Department of English
412 North Pinecrest Street ~ Milwaukee WI 53208
414.476.4025
[log in to unmask]  (email)
http://online.milwaukee.tec.wi.us/eng-201 (course)
http://n103dept.milwaukee.tec.wi.us/krahna/index.htm  (P.U.P.)
PUNCT-L, a mailing list for the discussion of punctuation