ATEG Archives

February 2011

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2011 17:53:23 -0800
Paul,

I think you're right. Ultimately, this is a confusion based on normal
phonological processes. Unless one is being extremely careful and
over-articulating one's pronunciation, it's normal not to release the
final /d/ of a past-tense verb when the following word is followed by
another consonant with the same place of articulation (as is the case
with /t/). So students simply don't hear the -ed at the end of the word
and therefore reinterpret.

BTW, although "supposed" may have originated as a passive, I wouldn't
analyze it as a passive voice in present-day English. I think "supposed"
is now a participial adjective, one that has developed a quasi-modal
meaning quite distinct from a passive version of "suppose."

Karl