ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2008 23:03:08 -0500
Bill,

Very well put.  There is, of course, a fairly large body of terminology on which there is at least wide-spread understanding, if not agreement.  Much of that terminology we use regularly in our discussions and our classes.  Like you, I don't like the term "underlying," but sometimes it's useful to draw on a term whose theoretical implications one doesn't accept.

Your point that we don't have similarly widely accepted terms for participant roles, or even a wide-spread agreement that we need such things, points to the reason why our grammatical terminology is a limited as it is.  It's pretty much restricted to those parts of a sentence that can be defined morphosyntactically, a practice that's been with us in English at least since the 16th c.  It's grounded, of course, in Greek and Latin grammar where many grammatical relations are specified by case endings.  Participant roles (agent, patient, object, instrument, etc.) aren't morphosyntactically definable in most SVO languages, although they can be in VSO languages like Samoan or SOV languages like Japanese.  It's not difficult to define these roles in pedagogically useful ways, and perhaps this is one of the more obvious additions that could be made to the grammar that we teach.

As to ways around terms like "underlying," traditional school grammar has long used "understood subject," and it wouldn't be much of a stretch to use "understood object" with verbs like "eat" and "drink" and with "tough"-movement constructions like "John is tough to please."

If we then add to this semantic role terminology some of the functional concepts Craig has talked about, we might have a useful, reasonably descriptive, and theory-neutral body of terminology and concepts to teach our students.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University