ATEG Archives

September 2010

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2010 18:40:38 -0700
Craig,

I think that the questions imply that the subject matter is what makes it hard or easy.  How hard something is seems to depend more on the experience that the learner can bring to bear, whether the student has filled the prerequisites, as they say in college.  The small child may seem to learn its native language, and other languages it may be exposed to, with ease, but after adolescence the task of acquiring a second language is generally more difficult.  Some educators speak for a total immersion in the culture to ease the task.  Direct instruction in the foreign language's grammar seems to help many learners, and those who understand English grammar already seem to do better.  Many high school students work to obtain proficiency in a foreign language.  Most cannot be totally immersed in another culture, but without adaquate instruction in English grammar they are left to learn another grammar without the best prerequisites.

I think that the goals mentioned in questions 2–6 might be taken as just a few of the guides needed in planning the scope and sequence of direct instruction in K–12.  Are these the subjects that any student of English needs to master?

Bruce

From: Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: how heavy a lift is grammar?

Date:         Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:54:26 -0400

     I am interested in whether the following would be thought of as

consensus positions among those of you on list (self-proclaimed as

interested in the teaching of English grammar). I am certainly open to a

list discussion, but those of you who would feel more comfortable just

saying yes/no (or maybe) and/or those of you who would prefer to be

anonymous can also feel free to email me directly and save wear and tear

on the list. If the response is strong, I'll pass on the results. Unlike

some surveys in our recent history, I don't presuppose a right answer

and am happy to listen to nuanced responses. It's not a trick quiz.

1)  Acquiring a language is easy for a native speaker. It happens

naturally, without direct instruction.

2) Achieving high levels of literacy is hard, but for the most part it

happens without direct instruction.

3) Acquiring the language of Standard English is hard, but for the most

part it happens without direct instruction.

4)  Learning to read complex texts is hard, but for the most part it

happens without direct instruction.

5) Learning to write effectively is hard, but for the most part it

happens without direct instruction.

6) Learning about language is hard. It does not happen without direct

instruction.

Craig