ATEG Archives

June 2004

From:
Maureen Fitzpatrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:56:55 -0500
That seems like a lot of responsiblity to place on one person--I don't see
how an individual could do this without it greatly affecting the spontaneity
of the list (unless that person never slept, taugtht their classes, or just
took a couple of e-mail free days and just stayed online most of the time to
forward messages as they came in). Losing subscribers would be bad; losing a
moderator and the list because it is too much stress to maintain would be
worse.

I was on a few lists that operated as you describe and this is what would
happen on the one I quit--someone would post a question and then every six
hours a batch of emails would be released that essentially said the same
thing since no one knew if or how anyone else had responded. I think some of
the larger lists through NCTE have some kind of a verification
process--maybe they have a program that searches for a list of content words
before they release the post or maybe they have a dungeon full of employees
who moderate the list 24-7-365. Does anyone know?

Maureen Fitzpatrick
Professor, English
Johnson County Community College
Overland Park, KS