ATEG Archives

February 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:50:01 -0500
Jeff,
    I am working on an article focused on reclaiming "context" and
"minimalism" as concepts, so I have been giving this much thought.
One problem with Weaver's approach is that it is not a context-based
grammar, but a system for using context as a way to diagnose
decontextualised problems.  (Correct errors when they show up.) And
minimalism doesn't have to mean using soft terms and avoiding an
accurate description of the language "at point of need". You can't
"scaffold" off of soft terminology.  It's not transferable to the next
situation.   >
    To a modern sensibility, rhetoric has more to do with expressive and
interactive meanings than it does with representational ones.  Of
course, the old rhetorical triangle included writer/speaker,
listener/reader, and world. These got picked up in the Prague School,
by Firth (in England), and eventually Halliday.  Since this approach
to grammar is inherently rhetorical, there is no way NOT to be talking
about language in use when you talk about it. It's a little like
imagining a noncontextual approach to ecology.  Ecology is ABOUT life
in the world.
    In Australia, the intermediary focus in on genre, which is applied
much more widely than it is over here.  (A marriage proposal is a
genre.  As is an apology, job letter, story, editorial, and so on.)
Herb's article on verbs is a nice example, since his focus was on the
nuances of meaning these forms convey doing the work of writing.
    (I was just looking at "advice" for story telling for an elementary
school curriculum, and the focus was on keeping events in
chronological order as the "correct" way. That sounds fine, until you
realize that stories don't often work that way. A good narrator
controls perspective, and the order of the happening and the order of
the telling don't even normally match.  Often the opening is close to
climax, with some eventual background as to how all this came to pass.
Time/tense is largely determined by point of entry.)
     Of course, analysis of how stories work (and how/why they are of
importance to us as a people) can be a great resource to both reading
and writing. Meanwhile, we'll find past tense verbs, lots of aspect,
verbal process clauses (for dialogue and conversation), speech
closely related to character (dialogue), careful use of perception
and feeling and thinking verbs for the narrator (unless it's a
dramatic narrator, creating a need to get those out), and so on.
    I was interested in your comment about state standards. The ones I
have been looking at seem at odds with the curriculum. If students
coming to college can't punctuate, what are we to make of standards
that say it should be done "without error" in Junior high? Is it
reasonable to expect that students will be able to correct errors on
standardized tests without some conscious understanding of language?
    This is at the heart of our Scope and Sequence project, and it would
be nice not to have to reinvent the wheel if standards and curriculum
guidelines are already in place. I know you're involved with that in
Louisiana.  Can we count on you to help us out?  What's good about the
current standards and what are you guys changing?  Are you modeling
after someone else? Can we use your help to come up with advice about
how this should be done?

Craig

Re: GrammarsMartha, I'll offer that I have very little technical