ATEG Archives

June 2005

From:
Amy Benjamin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 13:51:27 -0400
As you know, ATEG's annual conference is all set for July 15, 16 at the
Radisson in Chicago. Our keynoter is Ed Schuster, author of Breaking the
Rules: Liberating Writers Through Innovative Grammar Instruction.   We
have six presentations relevant to our theme, "All Hands on Grammar:
Teaching Grammar Through Visuals and Manipulatives." In addition, we
will be spending a substantial amount of time on two endeavors: The
first is devising more ways to teach grammar through visuals and
manipulatives. The second is a discussion on scope and sequence (what
should be taught and when) led by Craig Hancock.

But please, if you are attending to join us, do register as soon as
possible so that I can plan adequately to ensure that things go
smoothly.

Best,
Amy Benjamin
President, the Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar

Tim,

         I am sure that you will continue the excellent work that has
been
done with SiS.  Thanks for accepting the job.  I look forward to
reading
the next issue.

                 Mary Mocsary
                 Southeastern Louisiana University

>Dear ATEG colleagues,
>

>A few weeks ago Amy Benjamin, president of ATEG, sent out a request
for a
>volunteer to assume the duties of the editor of Syntax in the Schools,
the
>official journal of ATEG. I volunteered, and I am happy to announce
that
>my application has been accepted by the board and officers of ATEG.
>Beginning immediately, I will be serving as the new editor for SiS.
>

>It would be appropriate to thank Anne Lobeck and Kristin Denham for
their
>service to ATEG as editors of SiS. They brought a high level of
scholarly
>expertise, editorial knowledge,  and professional zeal to their tasks,
and
>the quality of SiS reflected their commitment to excellence. Thank
you,
>Anne and Kristin, for all you did to keep SiS a high-quality
professional
>publication.
>

>Let me tell you a little about myself. I am finishing a Ph.D. in
Technical
>Communication and Rhetoric at Texas Tech University, where I have
>specialized in issues related to writing, composition pedagogy, and
the
>rhetoric of grammar. My dissertation research will interest some of
you: I
>am (among other things) arguing that the conclusions of Braddock
(1963)
>and Hillocks (1986) regarding the teaching of grammar were, by and
large,
>selective (mis)interpretations of the available data, designed to
reach a
>predetermined conclusion opposed to the teaching of grammar.
>

>During my time at Texas Tech I have taught courses in freshman
composition
>and technical writing. I have also served as assistant director of
the
>University Writing Center, and I am currently working as a research
>assistant in the Graduate School. I am also a freelance professional
>technical editor and technical writer.
>

>I am still technically a graduate student, but, alas, I am not as
young as
>that makes me sound. This is a second career for me. I am 55 years old
and
>a grandfather (pictures upon request), with 20+ years experience in
>college-level teaching. I have been very fortunate to sort of
"stumble
>into" one of the top technical writing programs in the nation here at
>Texas Tech, and I will graduate with a Ph.D. in the fall, at which
time I
>will be seriously interested in finding a full-time job <hint>.
>

>I'll be attending our conference in Chicago in July, at which time one
of
>the conference sessions will be devoted to a discussion of what we can
do
>to improve our journal. I will gladly receive, then or now, any
>suggestions and input you may have for the journal/newsletter. Because
of
>the transition to a new editor, the next issue of SiS is tentatively
>scheduled for the fall. Marshall Myers, our book review editor, has
>several book reviews ready to publish, but I'm not sure if we have
any
>submitted articles. So, let me make my first solicitation as editor:
WE
>NEED ARTICLES. Please do not think that you can publish an article in
SiS
>only if it is at a "scholarly" level. We also need, and will publish,
>practical articles that contain teaching tips, at any level, dealing
with
>K-12 language arts as well as college-level composition-which happens
>be right in line with the theme of our conference this year.
>

>So, if you have articles to submit, please send them to me at this
address:

>Tim Hadley
>
>Holden Hall
>
>Box 41033
>
>Texas Tech University
>
>Lubbock, TX  79409
>

>I'll be hoping to hear from many of you in the coming days about
issues
>that interest or concern you regarding SiS, or ATEG in general.
Please
>contact me at [log in to unmask]
>

>See you in Chicago,
>
>Tim
>
>Tim Hadley
>Research Assistant, The Graduate School
>Ph.D. candidate, Technical Communication and Rhetoric
>Texas Tech University
>

>To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web
interface at:
>and select "Join or leave the list"

interface at: