ATEG Archives

May 2008

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2008 18:12:32 -0400
Natalie,

The "shift vs. ellipsis" argument  with examples like "Hey beautiful,"
as well as more general "shift vs. zero-affixation" arguments, tend to
be decided by particular linguists on the basis of other positions
they've adopted in their theories -- in other words, I don't think it's
possible to step back and look at "linguistics in general" and give a
"right" decision on any of those. Those cases don't give analysts any
empirical traction to work with, basically, and in the absence of any
way to falsify either of the two propositions involved ("there's nothing
there" vs. "there's a nothing there"), we just fall back on internal
consistency. I suppose it's theoretically possible to resolve the issue
if we ever get to the point where we can verify whether there is or
isn't a specific subassembly of neurons that fire off whenever a test
subject processes an example in which there's a putative gap, but given
the number of random factors involved, I don't know if that will ever
become feasible.

Having said that, the way I would approach "Hey beautiful" is to treat
"beautiful" as a deadjectival noun, partly because so many expressions
occur that are similar but have an unambiguous noun in the second
position (e.g. "Hey dude," "hey knucklehead") that I can't see
maintaining the notion that "beautiful" is SO tied to adjectival
function that it has to constitute an exception in that use (apologies
for the constant barrage of different forms of "that"!). Such an
approach does, however, leave me with a bit of a problem if someone uses
an expression like "Hey dearest," since the superlative suffix is very
adjective-y.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University