ATEG Archives

December 1997

From:
Jim Dubinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 11:19:31 -0500
[This message was originally submitted by [log in to unmask]
to the
ATEG list ]

Hello!  It's nice to get an answer to my questions.  You're
asking for the same things--understanding homonyms, understanding
punctuation--that our English dept. grapples with on a daily
basis and with which I struggle in my business writing course.

But is this really grammar?  Of course, punctuation becomes
clearer when students understand the ways sentences hang
together and what joins them, and in fact next quarter, as
I teach my grammar course again, I am going to work punctuation
into the syntax we study.

Recently our local high schools asked our dept. for a college
teachers' "wish list":  What do we want h.s. students coming
to college knowing?  Right up there with understanding what
a thesis is, what paragraphs look like, and what a library is,
we listed PUNCTUATION.  But surely high school must be doing
something about punctuation?  And I know we do.  Somehow it
just doesn't sink in.  It needs a context.  Students' writing
seems to be the obvious choice, but I think that until they
understand what constitutes a sentence, they won't understand
how and why we join clauses and phrases with punctuation;
those rules will remain mystifying and decontextualized.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Kathryn Gunderson
Department of English
California State University, Hayward