ATEG Archives

June 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 09:49:29 -0400
   I have been doing much reading/thinking about nominalization lately
(who says I don't have a life), so I'll throw a few observations into
the mix.>
   Nominalized processes tend to be ambiguous outside of context,
especially if context is extended to mean a sort of shared
understanding of what we mean by the term. Think of the differences
between "child abuse" (abuse in which a child is a victim) and alcohol
abuse (abuse in which alcohol is an instrument.) Or the difference
between "soil erosion" (erosion of soil) and "wind erosion" (erosion by
wind.) And so on.
Normally, this is not going to create confusion, but it certainly has that
potential. Is "Hank's abuse" something he did or something he had done to
him? Perhaps it's a syndrome that Charlie Hanks identified and is now
named after him. And so on. This need to already know is not unusual.
   To me, "a kid's web site" is probably a site made by a kid, but that's
just because it's hard to imagine a site for one person. A site made by
one kid is simply more likely. A kid's room, on the other hand, is
probably a room made (granted) to a kid. A kids' web site, on the other
hand, could be by kids or for kids or both, and context may or may not
clear that up. With or without the apostrophe, I think we would be
looking for context clues.
   I think the apostrophe is with us for contractions (I'm an old dog who
would find it hard to change those old tricks), and I think the
apostrophe before and after the -s to govern the potential confusion
about singular and possessive or plural or plural plus possessive is
highly useful.
   With or without the apostrophe, I don't think I could do more than
venture a guess about "Presidents club". (The same is true of
"Presidential society", which is a subtitle for an honors group on our
campus, started by a former president, for students who want to do
community service. There's no way to do more than guess at that from
the title.)
   I was trying to think of ways that leaving the apostrophe of or on
would smooth out meaning difficulties. I didn't get very far.

Craig

Nancy,