ATEG Archives

March 2011

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 21:25:14 +0000
TJ,

I was going for "able to be subjected to recursion" rather than "displaying at least one level of recursion", and all I could think of was "recursible" (I tried "recursable," but that somehow looked more like "able to be cursed a second time").

As a linguist, of course I'm going to make up words; deriving license, and all that. I figure I'm in bounds as long as I don't start substituting Greek letters for things in a bid for faux-mathiness (or "gammadygoop", as I've just now decided to call that trick). Linguists make up words the way dogs chase rabbits (i.e. persistently and compulsively, but usually with no material rewards).

--- Bill Spruiell